Some tips from my 2+ years on Tumblr. Enjoy.
- Post great + extraordinary + timely stuff
- Post with a consistent theme/style/voice
- Post stuff you care about, not what’s popular
- Post lots of images
- Use “Photo” as often as possible (esp. for ‘link’ posts)
- Follow a lot
- Follow diversely
- Unfollow folks when you get tired of their stuff
- Like posts on Tumblrs you dig
- Reblog content that fits your aesthetic
- Add something thoughtful when you reblog
- Have contact info someplace, even if it’s just an anon Formspring
- Pay attention to your site design for people outside the Tumblr Dash
- Give props to Tumblrs you really like
- Friend up Tumblr pals on other sites like Twitter, Last.fm, etc.
- HAVE FUN!
- Reblog stuff with 10+ levels of blockquote
- Reblog back and forth in order to have a ‘conversation’
- Post stupid shit just to get Tumblarity (it’s fleeting!)
- Steal other people’s stuff without crediting/linking back
- Strip out all reblog credits
- Ask people to reblog your post, they will if they want to
- Like every single thing that’s posted
- Disappear for days/weeks at a time
- Over-blog (IMHO 25+ posts/day)
- Flood-blog (IMHO 15+ post/hour)
- Import feeds without good formatting
- Forget about your poor lil’ Tumblr
- Be mean!
What are your DO’s and DON’Ts?
Not sure I would add or remove anything. Pretty spot on.